The Philippine Pop Music Festival or PhilPop on its third year has emerged once again to create opportunities for professional and amateur songwriters to have their songs heard and be recognized. It offers exposure for songs that are ready to compete on the hit charts and for the Php 1M grand prize handpicked by a group of adjudicators from 2,500 entries submitted from all over the country.
Since 2012, PhilPop has been the country’s premiere local songwriting event; they’ve honored songwriters, recording artists, bands and musicians everywhere. This is a great place for establishing talents and distinctively Pinoy songs. The top 12 songs were announced during the Pinoy Music Summit held last 19 Mar 2014 at Landbank Bldg., Manila.
The attempt to be the next hit single and to beat the 23 million (aggregated) video hits of last year’s grand winner, “Dati” by Thyro and Yumi, interpreted by Sam Concepcion, Tippy Dos Santos feat Quest is truly a tough call for participants. The PhilPop 2014 winner will be proclaimed at the finals night on 26 July 2014 at the Meralco Theater.
Beaming with pride, below is the complete list of finalists:
- Davey Langit’s “NSGB (No Girlfriend Since Break)”
- Venelyn San Pedro’s “The Only One”
- Ronaldo Sorioso’s “Awit Mo’y Nandito Pa” and “Langit Umaawit”
- Daryl Ong’s “Torpe”
- Soc Villanueva’s “Babalikan Mo Rin Ako”
- Jude Gitamondoc and Therese Marie Villarente’s “Song on a Broken String”
- Jungee Marcelo’s “Salbabida”
- Mike Villegas’ “Dear Heart”
- Allan Feliciano and Isaac Joseph Garcia’s “Hangout Lang”
- Q-York’s James Palma (Flava Matikz) and Cedric Bonjoc’s (Knowa Lazarus) “Qrush on You”
- Chi Bocobo and Isaac Joseph Garcia’s “Kung Akin Ang Langit”
Veteran composers lead the list including Soc Villanueva who won 2nd runner-up (PhilPop 2012) with the song “Kontrabida” interpreted by Sam Concepcion; Jungee Marcelo who also won 2nd runner-up (PhilPop 2013) for the song “Pansamantagal” interpreted by Sitti Navarro and Julianne Tarroja; Mike Villegas who wrote the song “Negastar” (PhilPop 2012) performed by Cathy Go; and Ronaldo Sorioso aka Toto Sorioso who won 1st runner-up (PhilPop 2012) for the mellow-rock composition “Tayo-Tayo Lang” interpreted by Ebe Dancel.
Daryl Ong is a full time musician and singer but still newbie at songwriting. He also arranges music and vocals for the group Voices of 5. As a first timer in joining this prestigious songwriting contest, he is excited to be part of the compilation album as many people will get to listen to his song.
Jude Gitamondoc and Therese Marie Villarente are Cebu-based songwriters who began writing “Song on a Broken String” together online via Facebook video chat.
Recording artists Davey Langit and Q-York joined in and are truly humbled to be part of this year’s competition. Allan Feliciano and Isaac Joseph Garcia who penned “Hangout Lang” are both honored to be part of the powerhouse songwriting competition. Joseph Garcia is an accomplished arranger and composer, while Allan Feliciano is a ghost writer who writes jingles for commercials and production houses.
Venelyn San Pedro’s “The Only One” said this song is relatable which talks about anybody who’s high on love, failed relationships and wanting for this one person to be with for the rest of your life. Chi Bocobo and Isaac Joseph Garcia’s “Kung Akin Ang Langit” is about a genetic condition called spinal muscle atrophy, a song overflowing with love to create awareness about this condition.
All songs will be included in the PhilPop 2014 album produced and distributed by Universal Records and will be made available on Spinnr and iTunes. The foundation’s executive director Maestro Ryan Cayabyab, board of directors Noel Cabangon and Ogie Alcasid are all praises for this year’s crop of finalists and they are excited to share this PhilPop hits to the world.
PhilPop 2014: The Album
We are pleased to announce the PhilPop 2014 album is now available for downloads! Be the first to grab Philpop 2014’s album! Download now via SPINNR.ph.
Listen to the finalist’s song clips with the respective star-studed interpreters in this video below courtesy of philpopmusic’s channel.
- Awit Mo’y Nandito Pa – Interpreted by James Bucong & Aldrich Talonding
- Babalikan Mo Rin Ako – Interpreted by Nikki Gil
- Dear Heart – Interpreted by Kiana Valenciano
- Hangout Lang – Interpreted by Duncan Ramos & Young JV
- Kung Akin Ang Langit – Interpreted by Clara Benin & Mcoy Fundales
- Langit Umaawit – Interpreted by Tom Rodriguez
- No Girlfriend Since Break – Interpreted by Luigi D’ Avola
- Qrush On You – Interpreted by Jay-R, Elmo Magalona, Q-YORK
- Salbabida – Interpreted by Kyla
- The Only One – Interpreted by Thor Dulay
- Song On A Broken String – Interpreted by Nicole Laurel Asensio
- Torpe – Interpreted by Kris Lawrence
Checkout this video featuring the adjudication process from the adjudicators themselves, video courtesy of philpopmusic’s channel.
PhilPop’s Grand Prize Winner is Karl Villuga’s ‘Bawat Hakbang’
The PhilPop 2013 Winners
The Most Viewed PhilPop 2013 Music Video
PhilPop 2013: The OPM Advocacy
PhilPop 2013: The Vote for the SMART People’s Choice Award
Photo set: Pinoy Music Summit 2014
You might to also visit each song’s lyric video compiled on our Tumblr page HERE or CLICK the album cover below.
For more details regarding PhilPop 2014, visit http://www.philpop.com.ph/. #SupportOPM
>>>> Repost/ Updated due to data loss.<<<<
Enjoys capturing, editing, and sharing content across social media platforms alongside music photography. The birth of this blog is a testament of my credence on the power of images in conveying stories.